Can Windows Media Player Play MKV files?
Since MKV becomes a popular video format, many people have been wondering "Windows Media Player 11 won't play files with mkv extension even when the appropriate codec is installed??"
According to Microsoft support website, Windows Media Player still won't support MKV files. Though we can make WMP play MKV video by install some codec, sometime we still encounter can't play MKV in Windows Media Player issue. MKV is a container format which may contain multiple video and audio streams. And the video and audio stream can be encoded any of several ways. If the MKV video or audio codec is not WMP installed codec supported one, Windows Media Player won't play MKV video of this kind.
Here we recommend you 3 ways to play all MKV on Windows media Player
Method 1: Install Windows Media Player codec package
Just try to install the Combined Community Codec Pack (short for CCCP). The CCCP is a a codec pack specifically developed for playing videos including MKV. When you've installed it, you can smoothly play MKV files with Windows Media Player or Media Classic Player.
Method 2: Try another media player
If you don't like installing codecs for Windows Media Player, or the codec doesn't work for some unknown reasons, you can try to use another media player. You may know of VLC player. Yeah, VLC is a great open-source cross-platform multimedia player. And it can play most multimedia file formats like MKV, AVI, MP4, FLV, WMV, etc, as well as discs.
Method 3: Converting MKV to Windows Media Player playable format for smooth playing
Serving as a high-class MKV to Windows Media Player Converter, Pavtube Video Converter can batch convert MKV to Windows Media Player recognizable formats like WMV, AVI, ASF, etc to solve "Windows Media Player won't play MKV files". Furthermore, Pavtube Video Converter does support converting nearly all video formats like MP4, AVI, H.265, MOV, MTS, WTV, MKV, FLV, 3GP, WebM, MXF, XAVC, RMVB, etc to WMP compatible formats to play MOV, WTV, MKV, FLV, 3GP, etc in Windows Media Player.
Even more amazing, this MKV to Windows Media Player Converter has the feature of converting almost all video formats to Windows Media Player supported audio formats like WMA, MP3, WAV, AU, and AIFF so that you can only enjoy audio in WMP if you don't like the image of the video.
Besides, it is not only a video to WMP Converter but also an audio to WMP Converter. By using it, you can fast convert various kinds of audio formats like FLAC, APE, 3GA, M4A, VOC, M4R, OGG, DTS, RA, etc to Windows Media Player popular audio formats in order to play these audio in WMP.
Free download the Video Converter for converting MKV to Windows Media Player
- Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.com/video_converter/
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-75734821.html
- Softonic Download: http://pavtube-video-converter.en.softonic.com/
Start converting MKV to Windows Media Player Compatible format
Step 1. Click the "File" button to import the MKV files to this MKV WMP Converter. Or simply drag and drop the MKV video to the main window of this program.
Step 2. Click the “Format” bar to get the drop-down menu and you can get “Common Video -> WMV3 (WMV9) (*.wmv)” or go to “HD Video” > “HD WMV” as the best output format for playing in Windows Media Player (12).
Step 3. The built-in editing function provided by MKV Video Converter is something worth trying. To trim the video, add artistic effects, adjust audio, add watermark, customize video parameters and so on. You can get the work done splendidly. Of course, if you don’t think it’s a necessary to do, you can skip it and move onto the next step directly.
Step 4. Press the “Convert” button on the bottom-right corner of this MKV Video Converter to start doing video conversion. The larger the MKV files are, the more conversion time should be taken.
Play MKV in Windows Media Player
Playing MKV in Windows Media Player will become a piece of cake with the help of the ideal MKV to Windows Media Player Converter and the above step by step guide. Then never worry about the following Windows Media Player won't play MP4 files troubleshooting:
- When I try to play MKV in Windows Media Player, it won't play my .mkv files -- no video, just sound, and Media Player will hang trying to exit.
- I downloaded a video of the MKV format from keepvid and when it went to Windows Media Player it did not work since and could not play and I got a message saying that windows media player cannot play mkv files.
- My Windows Media Player 11 won't play files with .mkv extension even when the appropriate codec is installed: my windows media player just won't play anything that has an .mp4 extension; it keeps saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."
- When try to add the MKV to Windows Media Player 12 for playing, the MKV file type isn't recognized by the Media Player and therefore isn't added to the Media Library.
- Some of my MP4 video can play in WMP, while other of my MP4 won't play in Windows Media Player 12.
- Best MKV Video Converter for Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- How can I open DVD files on Windows?
- Best way to Play all MKV on Xbox One S
- View 3D MKV movies on PS VR perfectly
- Handle MKV video for playing on LG TV